The Parish Church (no dedication) Wootton Fitzpaine (Lead author PS)
SY 37141 95635; Lat/Long, 50.756891 -2.8925183
Wootton Fitzpaine is a village which lies approximately 3 miles north-east of Lyme Regis in a small side valley of the River Char, close to Marshwood Vale.
The church, located in the grounds of Wootton Fitzpaine House, is most likely to have originally been the chapel to the manor house. The nave dates back to the 13th century and the church was enlarged in the 14th and 15th centuries. It was heavily restored in the nineteenth century (1872).
Each column supporting the transept arches is decorated with a corbel carved in Bath Stone with an inset block of Ham Hill stone. They all look very crisp and newly carved.
Text and photos by PS, April 2017
The interior is very plain. The walls are plastered and the nave and chancel arches are Bath Stone.
The font is probably Beer Stone. The 19th century bowl is very plain and has been placed on a 12th century re-used scallop-capital with cable necking.