The parish church of St. Pancras, Alton Pancras (Lead author: JT)
NGR: ST 69880 02403 Eastings 369875 Northings 102400,
The parish church of St. Pancras, in Alton Pancras was rebuilt in 1875, using Flint for most of the walling, with bands of Lower Purbeck Cypris Freestone that was almost certainly re-used from the earlier church. The dressings of doors and windows are of Ham Hill Stone
The 15th century west tower is also built of Flint and Cypris Freestone, with the bands of different stones being closer together. Although both sets of Flint are knapped, the longer weathering in the tower gives them a greyer appearance. (see image below)
Text and Images by JT, May 2017
A 1963 architect’s report states that the church is on 15th century foundations. However, local knowledge suggests that the village has a Saxon origin, being mentioned in the Domesday Book. The floor tiles were from Poole Pottery.