Church of St Peter, Chetnole. Grade 2*. NGR: ST 60224 08190,Lat: 50.871832, Long: -2.5666542. Lead Author: PS
The name "Chetnole" is thought to mean ‘Ceatta’s hilloc or hilltop’ from an Old English proper name and 'cnoll'. Chetnole is not mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086.
The history of the present church follows a pattern common to many small parish churches having been built as a satellite chapel to Yetminster. The earliest part is the 13th century nave.
The north aisle and arcade were also added in the 19th century necessitating the rebuilding of the north side of the church.
The building stone used throughout is local rough-hewn Forest Marble with Ham Hill Stone dressings. The interior walls are also rough-hewn Forest Marble. The north arcade is made of of Ham Hill Stone.
5.The font is Portland limestone (Lower Building Stone)from the Vale of Wardour.
The south wall has survived intact with the addition of a porch in the 17th century. A tower was added in the 15th century and the chancel enlarged in the 19th century.
6. There are some floor slabs which are Purbeck Marble
Text and images by PS, April 2018.