St. Giles Church, Wimborne St. Giles (lead author: JT)
SU 03185 11954; Lat/Long, 50.907051 -1.956072
The church of St. Giles, in Wimborne St. Giles was built in 1732, possibly by John and William Bastard. The north aisle and refitting was done in 1910 by Sir Ninian Comper. The ashlar stonework is partly Upper Greensand and partly Wardour-Portland Main Building Stone, known colloquially as Chilmark Stone, with chequer and banding of neatly squared flint. The dressings of windows, arches and doorways are of Wardour Main Building Stone. The Upper Greensand is a darker green, with coarser grains of sand, the Wardour Main Building Stone is a fine-grained sandy limestone. Both are given a green colour by the presence of grains of glauconite.
Text and photos by JT, May 2017