East Holme chapel and farm buildings (lead author: JT)
SY89916 85962; Lat/Long.50.673233 -2.1440675
East Holme is a tiny parish consisting of just seventeen households, situated close to a ford in the meadows by the River Frome, West-South-West of Wareham.
The claypits of the Isle of Purbeck have a well-documented history, but the occasional finds of ironstone are less well-known. The 13th century Butavant Tower of Corfe Castle includes ironstone from East Holme in the Poole Formation, and the farm buildings display a mix of ironstone and
Purbeck limestone. The church of St. John the Evangelist (SY8992 8596) was built in 1866 of the local ironstone.
The photograph to the right shows detail from the East Holme cart shed which was built of stone from the original priory chapel. Photo: JT.