St. Mary's Church, Cerne Abbas, ST 66590 01215: 50.8095 -2.4755 (lead author: JT)
The chancel of St. Mary’s Church is dated 1300, with the north and south aisles of the nave added in the middle of the 15th century, and the north and south aisles a little later. The west tower was added about 1500. The parish church was therefore in existence at the same time as the Abbey. In 1870 part of the south wall of the south aisle was refaced with Ham Hill Stone, Portland, Lower Purbeck and Flint.
To the right of the porch in St. Mary’s Church the Lower Purbeck Cypris Freestone shows typical horizontal weathering. The string courses are Ham Hill Stone. (Photo: JT)